Culturally Responsive Instruction in a Blended Learning Environment
Culturally responsive teaching has never been more important. Learn more about Britannica Digital Learning’s Professional Learning Cohort.
What will I learn?
Britannica’s PLC will help you:
Create your own unique teaching approach that builds equitable and inclusive practices into your curriculum and classroom.
Develop culturally responsive practices that meet the social and academic needs of your students.
Build a classroom culture that fosters continuous learning and an appreciation of diverse cultures.
Facilitate an environment that inspires meaningful discussions around current events and issues related to diversity.
Why a PLC format?
Britannica Digital Learning’s professional learning cohort (PLC) provides a safe space for professional educators to study, collaborate, and engage in meaningful conversations around culturally responsive instruction (CRI) in a supportive community.
Who is this PLC for?
This cohort will be of interest to teachers, librarians, and those in leadership roles who strive to create culturally responsive environments in a K-12 blended learning setting. This cohort is purchased by schools or districts looking to offer multiple seats to their teaching community.
How does the course work?
You will meet with your PLC in four, one-hour virtual sessions over several weeks. Meetings will include a main session webinar, small group breakout sessions, and guided practice to help you try strategies in your own classroom. In addition, each session requires a few hours of independent reading and reflection. All sessions will be recorded to provide both synchronous and asynchronous options.
Sample Content Covered during the PLC
- How to create a welcoming, affirming, and inclusive environment
- An examination of the current curriculum and teaching practices
- The role of high expectations and rigorous instruction
- Examples of inclusive curriculum and assessment
- Feedback on classroom implementation of new learning
Resources and Tools Provided during the PLC
- Access to Britannica LaunchPacks with curriculum-aligned content sets (e.g., articles, images, videos, primary sources, and activities)
- Reflection guide
- Recorded sessions
- Culturally responsive lesson plans for K-12
- Additional support through discussions with regional and national PLC members
Want to learn more?
Watch our recent edWebinar, which provides a sampling of the content covered in our CRI cohort. The webinar also features two Fall 2020 cohort participants and how they have been able to apply CRI strategies in their classrooms.