Hispanic Heritage Month
To help students explore the history and importance of Hispanic Heritage, Britannica’s Curriculum Expert Team has put together a few activities and resources for you and your students. Included are resources that discuss Hispanic Heritage, the history of Latin America, key achievements and contributions from both ancient civilizations and the modern day world, and the importance of cultures and ethnic groups across Latin America. So let’s get started!
History of Hispanic Americans and Latin America
Explore these articles in Britannica School that provide students with information about the history of Hispanic Americans and Latin America. That history covers the people and culture, as well as the geographic regions that make up Latin America.
Key Achievements of the Maya
Use the infographic and videos to have students explore the importance of Mayans and their contributions throughout history. Encourage students to identify the importance of recognizing the key achievements of ethnic or cultural groups.
Integrating Media Literacy
Use these questions to encourage students to use a critical lens when analyzing media:
- What does this image/video make you wonder?
- What is being communicated in this image/video? Provide evidence.
- Does anything in the image/video surprise you? Explain.
- What is the motivation behind this image/video?
- Whose perspective does the image/video represent?
Dig deeper to further explore Latin America with the following activities:
1. Explore how each Latin American country has contributed to the world economy (e.g., through activism, tourism, food, or clothing imports).
2. Explore 2-3 Latin American countries and describe:
- How they have changed over time
- The differences and similarities between each country
3. Read each article and study each diagram. How do each of the Latin American regions and climate differ? How are they similar?