The following content is created with classrooms of all levels in mind with access to Britannica digital resources like LaunchPacks or Britannica School. Contact your library staff to see if your institution already has access or claim your own free product trials.
Celebrate the milestones of the LGBT equality movement and the people who made them with these updates to Britannica resources.
In honor of Pride Month 2018, the Britannica editorial team has taken care to not only update our current coverage on LGBT figures and issues, but has also added several brand new entries and curriculum packs.
Updates to LaunchPacks
- Grades PreK-2: The existing “Family” pack has been revised, adding images of families with lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender parents and their children (per G2 standards).
- Grades 3-5: Revised existing “Family” Pack, per above, and created a new Pack, Human Rights: Gay Rights, including a new article on Harvey Milk (per G4 standards).
- Grades 6-8: Added a brand new LaunchPack on politician and civil rights activist Harvey Milk.
- Grades 9-12: Added the new LaunchPack “Human Rights: Gay Rights.”
Updates to Britannica School
The following is a list of all the brand new LGBT entries added to Britannica School this month. They join our standing articles on the gay rights movement—which covers Pride celebrations—and the Stonewall riots. Also be sure to explore all kinds of existing biographies, most notably of openly gay political leaders such as Tammy Baldwin, Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir, and Leo Varadkar .
New Middle School articles to support LGBTQ content include:
- Harvey Milk
- National LGBTQ Task Force
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
- Matthew Shepard
- José Sarria
- Barney Frank
- same-sex marriage
Try this with your class? How did it go? Tweet us feedback to @BritannicaLearn.
Become a Britannica expert in less than an hour! Join us for our live webinars to discover ways to support Common Core and State Standards, locate STEM resources, and find new and exciting ways to promote inquiry in your classroom or library.