Hispanic Heritage: High School Social Studies Activity!
September 20, 2017
Ready-To-Use High School Social Studies Activity
For your National Hispanic Heritage Month celebrations in your classrooms, we’ve put together activities for your Pre-K-12 students. In this blog, explore Latin American independence with your high school social studies class. We’ve got you covered with classroom strategies, activities, resources, and graphic organizers.
Looking for different level and subject-area activities?
SOCIAL STUDIES ACTIVITIES: Exploring Hispanic Heritage
SCIENCE ACTIVITIES: Making STEM Accessible
In each activity, I share suggested resources from Britannica’s newest classroom tool, LaunchPacks: Social Studies. You can get free 30-day access now by taking a Packs: Social Studies free trial, or you can use the activity, questions, and free, downloadable graphic organizer with your own classroom resources.
Grades 9-12 Social Studies Activity: Biographies of Independence
Overview: Students will analyze the feelings, thoughts, and desires of individuals found in this pack by reading biographies, understanding events, and using the Graphic Organizer: Body Biography.
• LaunchPack Social Studies: Independence in Latin America for Grades 9-12
• Graphic Organizer: Body Biography
Strategy: Body Biography
Activity: Ask students to pick an individual found in this pack. Using the information from the article, have students analyze the individual by understanding their beliefs. Have students fill out Graphic Organizer: Body Biography to complete this activity.
• What does the individual “see” (in himself/herself, others, the world)?
• What are the thoughts of the individual?
• What are the individual’s beliefs and values?
• What does the individual “hold” dear?
• What does the individual love or hate?
• On what does the individual “stand” (values, principles, ideals, etc.)?
Possible Extension: Have students conduct further research on the individual they chose to get a better understanding of their life events, motivations, and influence.