Q: Who is eligible to participate?
A: To qualify as an educator, they must
- Be an educator (Teacher, Librarian, Principal) in a Public, Private or parochial school in the 50 United States of America or the District of Columbia.
- Be an educator for more than 3 years
- Be in good standing with school
- Be a full time faculty member
- Teach or work with students in K-12.
- Have school permission to enter*
To qualify as student award, they must
- Enrolled and attend a Public, Private or parochial school within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia
- Be a High School Student
- Attend school full time
- Be in good standing with school
Q: How can I submit my application?
A: You will see a button on the awards announcement page that takes you to our online entry system Judgify or you can go directlty to judgify.me/BritannicaAwards-2019.
You must register on the site and log in to submit. Your submission will comprise of 3 Open ended questions along with supporting documentation as well as an optional video submission.
Q: How many times can I Submit?
A: Only one submission will be allowed per student or educator per year. Students and educators are able to submit for future awards.
Q: What will I need to submit my application?
A: You will need to answer 3 open-ended questions and provide at least 2 documentation or reference. Videos are optional.
1.Tell us more about yourself! (For educators only) What inspired you to become an educator? (For students only) What are you most excited about in your academic future? Please limit to 500 words or less.
2.Tell us why you believe you should be awarded Britannica’s first inaugural StandOut Award? Provide details about a program, activity, or action that has made an impact or changed perceptions in your community. Tell us how you solved a problem or fostered space for a challenging conversation? How did you show leadership and the ability to foster strong relationships in and out of the classroom. Please limit to 500 words or less.
3. We believe no matter the size of the act, it has the ability to potentially make big impact. We’d love to know about how your action may have contributed or helped to solve a problem facing your school or community? Did it provide a different level of understanding around the problem, did it encourage a hard-to-have conversation? Was there a result to the conversation? Did your action demonstrate leadership in and out of the classroom? Please limit to 800 words or less.
Students and educators must provide at least one supporting document. Please provide supporting documentation that illustrates how your actions, program or initiative have made an impact on the community or classroom. For educators: A career summary would also be valuable.
Students and educators must provide at least one reference document. This can be from principal, teachers or educators, students, community leaders who can offer perspective about you and your actions.
We’d love to get to know you better. Please provide a video introducing yourself and tell us about your amazing actions. Please provide a video under 10 minutes.
Q: When will submissions be accepted through?
A: Call for submissions will begin in January 2019 accepted through March 15, 2019.
All entries will be reviewed, selected and judged from selected Britannica employees and selected judges from external partnering institutions. Finalists and semi-finalists will be chosen by judges from external partnering institutions.
All judging processes will be done confidentially and privately and no external voting will be included in the final winner selection. The decision of the judges will be final.
The Award honorees will be announced in June and awards and any cash/prize value will be presented to the Honorees by August.
Q: What prizes will be awarded?
A: Prize Value
- 2 finalists will be selected, one educator and one student:
- Educator Finalist will be awarded a one-time grand cash value of $10,000.
- Student Finalist will be awarded a one-time grand cash value of $5,000.
- 10 Semi-finalists will be selected, 5 educators and 5 students.
- 5 Educator Semi-Finalists will be selected and each awarded a one time cash value of $1,000
- 5 Student Semi-Finalists will be selected and each awarded a one time cash value of $750.
The total value of all prizes in the aggregate will not exceed $23,750.
In addition to cash value awarded, Each finalists will be prominently featured in our BritannicaLearn.com website. They will also be announced via multiple promotional outlets including press releases and potential events.
Q: When will you select a winner?
A: The Award honorees will be announced by June 2019 and awards and any cash/prize value will be presented to the Honorees by no later than August 2019.
Q: How many winners will be selected?
A: 2 finalists will be selected, one educator and one student.10 Semi-finalists will be selected, 5 educators and 5 students.
Q: How will you distribute prizes?
A: If an honoree receives an award, the manner and details of announcing such nomination and award is strictly within the discretion of Britannica. Confirmation with school as well as parents/legal guardian may be required to announce all finalists and semi-finalists. Advance notification will be made available.
Q: Will I need school consent?
A: Yes, this will need to be obtained if a nominee is selected to move to a semi-finalists stage. All submissions must provide an accessible email address.
Q: Can I be disqualified?
A: We may disqualify ineligible entries at any phase of the selection process without notification. Employees, officers and directors of Sponsor, its promotional partners, their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and the immediate family members (spouses and parents, children and siblings and their spouses, regardless of where they live) or members of the same households (whether related or not) are not eligible.
Q: Is this the only year that Britannica will be holding this award?
A: We hope to make this into our annual awards program honoring exceptional educators and students. Stay tuned after awards winner announcement for the following year’s program details.
Q: Is this the only award program that Britannica will be holding this year?
A: In 2019, we’re looking forward to announcing additional potential programs that celebrate those individuals who are advancing education, inspiring curiosity and our love of learning.